10 Ways to Stay Sane When Finishing a Book (Ep 017)
How do you stay sane and keep a sense of balance when heading into dangerous deadline territory? In this episode we talk about ten strategies that have helped us over the years, including fried kalamari. Because Greeks.
Here’s a summary of the ten strategies to stay sane when finishing a book:
- Double down on the basics: good food, water, showers, sleep, having clean clothes.
- Adopt a 9-5 mentality (or 8-4, or whatever means “working hours”) inasmuch as possible. Resist the urge to burn the candle at both ends.
- Postpone, outsource, or stop all unnecessary activities.
- Incorporate fun into your life: play games on your tablet, go for walks. This is important!
- Finish the writing tasks, also known as the “just do it” approach.
- Embrace the good elements of panic.
- Don’t make your stress the topic of conversation in social settings.
- On the other hand, call in reinforcements when needed.
- Prayer and meditation. Our favorites: the Jesus Prayer and the Headspace app.
- Have a touchstone, a way to check in with the bigger picture of your project on a regular basis.
Resources we mention in this episode:
- The Jesus prayer, anxiety, and psychophysiology: https://drzeiders.com/religion-and-spirituality/the-psychophysiology-of-the-jesus-prayer/
- Headspace: https://www.headspace.com/
- Greek-style fried kalamari recipe: http://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/crispy-fried-calamari-recipe-kalamarakia-tiganita/
Join the conversation in the Writing on Wednesdays Facebook Group! (https://www.facebook.com/groups/WritingonWednesdays/)
Until next week,
Nicole Roccas – www.nicoleroccas.com
Sarah Bereza – www.sarah-bereza.com